Selling on a social media site like Facebook has gained momentum for quite a few months with creating the Facebook Shop in May 2020. The site already has around 2.45 billion active users, so there is a substantial ready customer base for your products. Shopping on Facebook is not new, but the creation of the ‘Shop’ definitely elevates the selling level and makes it more cohesive, customizable, and definitely, shoppable. It is the perfect place for retailers, online sellers, and merchants to sell their products in several categories.
So, if you are planning to enter this place, here’s why you stand to be a gainer even in stiff competition.
- Expect to see more than 80 million business pages on Facebook, irrespective of size.
- Approximately 1.49 billion daily and active users of the social media site
- Every second around six new users are joining Facebook – that means 500k new users daily.
- On average, people spend around 40 mins browsing through the updates, feeds, etc.
- The number of registered users is almost 2.38 billion, of which 30% log in multiple times daily.
Selling on Facebook comes with a few extra advantages also:
- You can upload as many products as you want
- Arrange your products as per collection and category
- Stay on top of sales and product visibility with infographics and statistics
- Offer your customers a premium buying experience by interacting with them and answering their queries
- Take advantage of targeting tools to reach more customers
- Reach out to potential customers and convert them into regular buyers
How to set up your Facebook shop?
This is for valid sellers who have a registered offline shop with tax ids and bank accounts.
You will need the following:
- All sellers must have a Facebook account and a business page
- At least 2,000 likes are necessary on the page
- Sale of digital products and designs are not allowed to use only physical products
- You must agree with the Merchant Terms on your page
- The seller must have a registered business in the country where he is selling
- A TIN (Tax Identification Number) number is also needed along a valid bank account linked to the seller’s name and country
How to sell your product?
There are two ways in which you can sell on Facebook Shop. One is using the social media site as a standalone online shop. But that might be difficult for people residing outside the USA. But those in the United States can collect payment through the site. However, PayPal is not entertained.
Here’s how you can create the Facebook Shop page:
- Create the Facebook business account and the Facebook page according to the business name
- Pick a shopping template and follow instructions to apply the same
- Pick the checkout method
- Choose the currency
- You will need to accept their terms and conditions
- Once the shop tab is found on the Business page, you have to manually add products and their descriptions
- Your shop is approved when you add the product
- Select your checkout method
Facebook Shop using eCommerce website
The other alternative is to take eCommerce platforms like WooCommerce, Shopify, etc. and link them to your Facebook account. You can showcase your products on the site, and when someone wishes to purchase, it creates a shopping cart, and the customer is redirected to the eCommerce platform. This method is vital if you want to continue selling in the long-term. It also offers you complete freedom to continue selling your products on many other eCommerce platforms except for Facebook.
Linking your Facebook Shop with eCommerce frameworks
Most of the eCommerce platforms already possess automated solutions to help you can set up shop on Facebook. They have options to configure payments, sync products, and advertise them on the platform’s dashboard. You can avail of any eCommerce platform, including Shopify, WooCommerce, Magneto, Volusion, BigCommerce OpenCart, PrestaShop, and more. For instance, Shopify is quite recommendable since it directly connects with Facebook and proper instructions that promise a hassle-free linking.
- Create a website with any of the eCommerce platforms and list the products there
- You will need to make CSV files for the products.
- Check for the integration button with Facebook Shop.
- You will have to agree to their terms and conditions to move ahead.
- Once that is done, just hit ‘Connect Account.’
- Verify the same with your personal Facebook account and then your business account
- All your products appear on Facebook Shop.
- You can control the workflow from your eCommerce platform.
It is essential to keep a tab on the products or categories that sell best on Facebook and offer similar products. There might be certain trendy products that you have missed. So, it is best to include those as well. You will also have to keep in mind the demographics on the social media site. There is no fixed method of discovering what works well and what does not. It pays to keep an eye on the products trending on online stores like Amazon and Flipkart, and Google Trends. This can give you a fair idea regarding the trending products and what to sell on Facebook.
You can try these best practices to ensure more visibility and sales.
- Images are important. Hence, upload several high-quality ones of the products
- Product descriptions offer the first information regarding products. Ensure that they are accurate and concise
- Promote your products on your timeline regularly
- Sell at competitive and affordable rates
- Respond to queries and feedback
- Maintain a proper inventory
- Request positive reviews for your shop from customers
What about the Facebook store and Marketplace?
These two platforms are also available on FB, but they are not for selling products. Facebook Store simply showcases products on the site. Facebook Marketplace is for selling and renting items like laptops, cars, or even apartments. Being certified sellers is not essential here.